In the interests of posting ASAP, here is an excerpt from yesterday. My characters are increasingly in tight places and I'm not entirely sure how to write them out of it. But Indigo wisely advised me at the beginning of the month that there is no need to draw out the action. Here I introduce two of my worst characters yet, who I didn't bother to name as I hope to never see them again.
Two men, obviously from the IT department, appeared in the
doorway. She could tell that they were from IT because of their self-important
posture, their misanthropic sneer and their general air of believing that
everyone around them was intensely stupid. Rogue-ah almost injured herself from
rolling her eyes. Was this who Pinto had referred to as the tech specialists?
“Are you sure that you turned the device on?” asked the
smaller one, clearly fancying himself the leader.
“Is it plugged in?” said the other, more rat-faced one.
“Have you logged a ticket?” jumped in the first one.
“Have you tried turning the device off and then on again?”
“What about unplugging it? Just let it sit for at least one
minute and then plug it in again?” asked rat-face.
They both seemed to be talking to the other, neither wanting
to take responsibility for actually doing something, each acting as though it was
the other who had called in the problem rather than the two of them who were
there to fix it.
And then some good use of the WhatsApp chat:
Suddenly, Scarface moved, apparently he was the one chosen
to speak. He approached the walls of the cage wearing his unlikeable sneer.
“Where is the girl?” he asked.
Dragonfly sighed, it was tiresome to have to pick one’s
battles, particularly in a situation as dire as this one. But they had nothing
to lose and most importantly nothing to gain from avoiding an awkward
conversation about gender.
“I feel like you aren’t really listening to me,” said
Dragonfly. “When you called her a girl before, I pointed out that the person I
was with earlier is a woman. That is how she identifies. I simply won’t
continue to answer your questions if you insist on infantalizing her. I must
also ask why you find it so very important to talk about a person by reference
to their gender, and using the gender binary at that.”
“Is it really that easy?” asked Security, “if I call your
camp rat friend a woman than you’ll just tell me everything I want to know
about her?”
“Stop trying to interpellate me,” snapped back Dragonfly.
For the first time, Scarface looked extremely offended. “How
dare you! I’m not an Althusserian scholar. I don’t even know how to
interpellate.” He sniffed, his pique raised.
“It’s so easy! You’re already doing it!” exclaimed
Dragonfly, “Interpellation describes the process by which ideology, embodied in
major social and political institutions (ISAs and RSAs respectively),
constitutes the very nature of individual subjects’ identities through the process
of ‘hailing’ them in social interactions. It’s exactly what you were doing when
you called out the word ‘girl’ with the intention of signifying how my friend –
and by extension also I – should act/look/be in particular ways.”
“Oh, so you mean that interpellation is a process, a process
in which we encounter or culture’s values and internalize them?” Security
slapped his forehead, “I never thought of it that way before!”
“I can see that. Glad to be of help.” It had been another
successful interaction with a man.
This was so sinister. Those IT specialists were evil to their very core, I could tell. So helpful of Dragonfly to explain interpellation to Scarface, but they must feel very drained having to explain things to people all the time, especially following a climate apocalypse. I can see that the end of the world as we know it is certainly not the end of sexist microaggressions and strict adherence to the gender binary. And sadly not the end of unhelpful advice from IT support personnel.
ReplyDeleteYES ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL INTERACTION WITH A MAN! There have been so many successes this EsNoWriMo season.
Loved this so much: "I simply won’t continue to answer your questions if you insist on infantalizing her. I must also ask why you find it so very important to talk about a person by reference to their gender, and using the gender binary at that." Dragonfly took the thoughts right out of my mind!!
ReplyDeleteI also loved the bit about interpellation, when Scarface wrongly believed he wasn't interpellating anyone. Glad that Dragonfly was able to convey the true meaning of the term! Truly hilarious.
YES JACKIE!!!!!!!! That part about interpellation KILLED ME. So funny. I especially loved that Scarface appeared to be interested in the concept-- perhaps Dragonfly has created another Althusserian scholar! Not that we need more of them...
ReplyDeleteThe IT scene was so funny. I too have felt the scorn of the "Is it plugged in" questions. I'm pleased that this is finally being depicted as sinister, since we have all known for so long that it is.
Another successful interaction indeed. I loved both of these, the entire interpellation section was gold and I think I may even understand it better than I did before. I adored how offended Scarface got at the suggestion that he was trying to interpellate someone.
ReplyDeleteThe IT excerpt was a delight. It was so sinister but also so hilariously accurate. Each one of the suggestions that they yelled at each other was pitch perfect.