It almost feels pointless to post an excerpt 10,000 after the last one. No one knows what is happening in my novel!I've been building up to this moment where almost all the characters are together in one place for a big confrontation. I thought that this would happen much earlier in the novel, but I screwed around so much that now it has to be the climax and ending.
I'll post a few little things, sticking with one story line
- one is a shout out to Nathan's idea of the redacted name tag.
The technician still did not acknowledge him but did point
to a name tag on his chest that said only “Chip.” Everything else had been
redacted.
“Nice to meet you Chip,” Gordon said. “That’s some name your
parents gave you. Is it meant to reflect that you’re a ‘chip off the old block’?
Or perhaps, that you were born with a chip on your shoulder? Or did your
parents meet at a chip truck and they wanted to celebrate that fact in the name
of their first born? Are you a chip of ice? A chocolate chip? A wannabe “chip”indale
dancer?”
Chip grunted, “You’re not as funny as you think you are.”
Gordon felt it was a small victory that he’d gotten a
response. “It’s been said, Chip.”
“Chip’s not my name,” said that technician. “It’s my
department.”
“You’re in the Chip Department?” asked Gordon, puzzled. “What
does the Chip Department do?”
“None of your business.”
“So what’s you’re name then, if it’s not Chip?” Gordon queried.
“It’s redacted,” responded the technician.
***
And then later on ...
Next, [Redacted] applied a brown antiseptic liquid that felt
cold and foreboding on Gordon’s skin.
“Good thing you’re taking care to prevent infection as you
torture me,” he quipped, trying but failing to seem nonchalant. “Perhaps you
could also administer anesthesia to make sure I don’t feel any pain?”
“This lotion won’t prevent infection,” answered [Redacted]
matter of factly. “It helps to conduct the signal more efficiently.”
“Don’t speak to the subject,” snapped Jorn.
“Sorry, sir,” said [Redacted], chastened. He continued
silently with his work, turning to the tray and picking up the circle of spiked
metal. “Shall I fasten the portal now?” he asked Jorn who was watching with a
mounting air of excitement.
“This is a momentous occasion, Dr. Chip!” crowed Jorn. “We
must properly mark the occasion.” He strode over to the door and threw it open.
“Get me some Pabst Blue Ribbon, STAT. And let’s move the subject closer to the
new server. I want to see this baby work!”
The workers in the grey lab coats leapt into action at Jorn’s
instruction, some scrambling to make room to move the hospital bed threw the
narrow doorway while others began typing furious commands on the computers.
[Redacted] stood by Gordon, preparing to assist with the
relocation. “Wait,” said Gordon, “You’re name really is Chip. What was with all
the misdirection before?”
As always, Dr. Chip remained impassive. He looked ready to
ignore the question. He resisted for a moment but he could not seem to stop
himself from answering Gordon. “It wasn’t misdirection. I really do work in the
Chip Department and my name has really been redacted from my identification
tag. It is an unhappy coincidence that my name and my department are the same.
It has led to a lot of razzing by my friends, family and co-workers. To add
insult to injury, my brother’s name is Chap. I’ve never forgiven my parents for
giving me the worse of two very similar names. I’m sure you can understand why
I would keep that information to myself.”
“Wow, your parents are dicks,” said Gordon sympathetically.
“Yeah, they really are,” responded Dr. Chip.
*****
And finally, a little bit more from the Gordon storyline:
At first, Gordon felt nothing. Then, he was no longer only
him. He was still him, but he was also someone else with many bodies. He could
feel the other consciousness, knew it was the mind of Security and that he
could speak to it. That it could speak to him.
I will know all, said the voice of Security in his
head. It is pointless to fight our power.
On the bed, Gordon twitched and moaned. He appeared unconscious.
Interesting. We know now that you are not the leader. That
there is no single piano man. You tricked us, but for nothing. You know enough
to lead us to more. In fact, we have more in our grasp right now. Several
seconds passed as Gordon felt Security digging deeper, learning more. Why do
you have so many women in charge? That is foolish to trust in a weaker and
hysterical sex.
Gordon felt the presence of his mothers with him. Whispering
to him to hold on, to fight back. You believe in the superiority of men and
of whiteness because that is convenient for you. It allows you to justify the
oppression of others.
Security laughed, The people who hold that our culture is
an oppressive, white supremacist patriarchy, they don’t want to admit that the
current hierarchy might be predicated on competence.
It isn’t based on competence. It is based on power that some
have taken for themselves and the force they use to maintain it. You’ve worked
closely with Doug Ford. You can’t honestly believe that he holds power because
of his competence. The man is a cruel imbecile. Gordon’s mind was expanding
as he truly saw the lazy and inconsistent thinking, rarely challenged, that
allowed mediocre white men to believe that they had earned all the privileges
they enjoy.
Gordon could also feel that Security’s thoughts were becoming
confused. The simple act of pointing out that Doug Ford was a stupid and
undeserving leader had laid bare the cracks in the foundation of Security’s
world view.
Security countered. Violent attacks by men are what
happen when men do not have partners. Society needs to work to make sure that
those men are married. The cure for violence is enforced monogamy. Half the men
fail and no one care about the men who fail.
Gordon replied. There is so much wrong with what you just
thought, but I’ll try my best to reply. First of all, men do not have a right
to women’s bodies and it is only because they think that they do that they
could engage in violence to enforce that right. So teaching men to respect
women, indeed to respect and value all life, would be a far more effective way
to end violence. Second, marriage is not a requirement in order to have a
partner. Third, enforced monogamy IS violence. You’re talking about sexual
slavery. It is truly fucked that you consider women’s lives to be so worthless
that you can’t even recognize enforced monogamy as violence. Fourth, not all
men want female partners, just want to point out that there is also some
heterosexism going on with that statement. Fifth, literally your entire social
structure is designed to support male power. All you care about is men who
fail. And most men who fail, fail up with their mediocrity rewarded. So yeah,
men are doing alright, stop whining about how unfairly you are being treated. Finally,
fuck off.
Security’s mind was swirling, panicked. It makes sense
that a witch lives in a swamp.
I have no idea what you mean.
Security seemed to draw some confidence from Gordon’s
confusion. Right. That’s right. You don’t know. It’s because those things
hang together at a very deep level. Right. Yeah. And it makes sense that an old
king lives in a dessicated tower.
What the hell are you saying? I understand each word
individually, but when you put them together into sentences, they don’t make
any sense.
Security was on the defensive again. Yeah, it does. Witches
just don’t exist the way you think they exist. They certainly exist. You may
say, well dragons don’t exist.
Yes, I do say that.
They do – the category predator and the category dragon
are the same category. It absolutely exists. It’s a superordinate category. It
exists absolutely more than anything else. In fact, it really exists.
Gordon delivered the final blow. Saying that there is a
category of predators is absolutely not the same as dragons existing.
Security said, Shit, you’re right, and Gordon
felt something break.
OHHHHHH SHIIIIITTTTTTTT
ReplyDeleteLuckily I don't need a pencil to tell you how amazing it is that you are less than 4,000 words from the finish line! That is so incredible. You made an amazing comeback!
The exchange between Security and Gordon was indescribably great. The way that you incorporated the desiccated tower line in particular was inspired. And then, in the end, when Security acknowledges that it isn't making sense, I pumped my fist like Judd Nelson at the end of the Breakfast Club.
Chip and Chap are quite the pair and I laughed out loud about that. I disagree with Chip, however, that Gordon isn't as funny as he thinks he is. He is EVEN FUNNIER!!
Your novel is coming together beautifully. And, in the end, isn't the real novel the friends we made while screwing around along the way?
Jackie, this excerpt is incredible. I agree with everything that Katie said above- the interaction between Gordon's consciousness and Security's consciousness is solid gold, and the fact that everything that Security is thinking is a direct quote from Jordan Peterson makes the takedown even sweeter.
ReplyDeleteLoved this line so much: The simple act of pointing out that Doug Ford was a stupid and undeserving leader had laid bare the cracks in the foundation of Security’s world view.
Gordon spits so much truth in this excerpt- WHAT A HERO. I am so happy I read this today-- should really help me pull together some shit tomorrow as I try to work toward resolving my own plot.
Chip/Chap-BRILLIANT combination of Jorn/John hilarity AND Nathan's redacted name tag. I love it so so so much. That interaction was so funny.
hurray for your triumphant return!!
ReplyDeleteOh my god the entire Chip excerpt is comedic gold. I love that Gordon was being a real asshole about the name, I love that his name isn't Chip, that Chip is the name of the department, and that what the department does is 'none of your business.' I love that his name is 'redacted.'Brilliant.
I thought that was all done, but then you picked it up again with the game-changer that the person's name is in fact Chip, and he works in the Chip department, and I loved the use of the word razzing, and his brother Chap.
"There is no single piano man" hahahaha
So cool that Security is infiltrating Gordon's mind, but Gordon is infiltrating right back and confusing them. AMAZING>
I just literally laughed aloud at your last two lines:
Gordon delivered the final blow. Saying that there is a category of predators is absolutely not the same as dragons existing.
Security said, Shit, you’re right, and Gordon felt something break.
So now everyone in this coffee shop knows you're brilliant and hilarious.
That exchange between security and Gordon was truly brilliant, hilarious, and chilling. The jordon Peterson section was so good. I loved the way that Gordon took them down just by thinking some very simple logical thoughts.
ReplyDeleteOh my God, the chip/ chap excerpt was so good that I read it out loud to Mike. Your use of the nearly identical names line brought it to such a great new height. Congratulations on getting so far ahead of everyone. I'm incredibly jealous.