It was not easy. I had to turn to the internet to discover, to my great surprise, that someone has actually written the answer to the difference between "vampire" and "vampyre". It is complete garbage, but it helped me to pad my word count. And when I got really desperate at the end, I just started quoting from The Breakfast Club, an old but still worthy strategy.
Here is some backstory about Rose and Gordon:
-->
She remembered the first time that she met Gordon. He showed
up unannounced, always at night, every few weeks or months. She had been living
with Dragonfly in the children’s house, in the care of the community parents. Creeping
around the camp, with this flowing black cape and eye patch, the children would
understandably run screaming from him. He was said to be a vampire, or perhaps
a deflated balloon.
This time, Rose was determined not to show her fear and she
stood her ground with her hands on her hips and a challenging look in her eye. It
was night, of course. In the dog days of summer, few would stir while the sun
was up. Gordon almost walked right by her, but something about her made him stop,
an air of destiny that emanated off of her like a scent.
“Are you a vampire?” she asked, wearing the ennui that
teenagers like her wore like a uniform.
“Of course not, you cretin,” he replied. “I am a Vampyre. The
emphasis is on the second syllable.”
“What difference does it make what syllable you emphasize if
you drink the blood of humans?”
Gordon chuckled and scratched his
chin with his uncomfortably long and pointed nails. “This is a question that
pops up quite often, believe it or not. What is the difference between ‘vampire’
and ‘vampyre’ and why are YOU a ‘vampYre?’ Well–here goes–and I don’t know how
widely spread this answer is or if any other vampyres use the “y” for the same
reason, but here is ours: The word “vampire” has existed for
decades, used in conjunction with the mythical killers of fiction. They are the
vampires with the special powers, the killer instincts, and inability to go
into the sun. More importantly, they are entirely fictional and there is no
equivalent to these characters in the real world.
“Many modern day vampyres chose
the different spelling to create a class of their own. As ‘vampyres’ they
were set apart from the fictional creatures and established as something quite
separate. Vampyres are those which I’ve described many times before, the ones
who need the energy of others to keep themselves both healthy and sane, but
they are nothing like the vampires you’ll read about in horror stories or fairy
tales. In short, the changing from “i” to “y” mearly separates modern day
vampyres from fictional vampires so that there is finally some distinction.”
Rose was nonplussed. “I’ve got to
be honest with you, Gordon. If you are trying to convey that you are a people
person, there are far less confusing ways to go about it.”
It was the beginning of a
beautiful friendship.
And a little bit about the bind that Dragonfly is in, somehow made worse by The Breakfast Club:
Scarface smiled, but it wasn’t a real smile. It was more of
a Doug Ford smile, with too many teeth and with no sign of humour in his eyes.
Dragonfly wondered, not for the first time, whether the cloning process was
entirely pure. Was Doug Ford only Doug Ford? Was Scarface sourced from one
person or the product of something else?
“The question is, what do you care about more. The girl or
the mission?”
“C’mon man, Rose is a grown-ass woman. I know we live in
post-catastrophe hellscape, but do we need to make it even worse by maintaining
the worst traditions of misogyny and racism?”
“It was misogyny and
racism that got us to this hellscape, so why stop now?”
“I’m pleasantly surprised by your honesty,” replied Dragonfly.
“I’m a complex guy.”
“I wouldn’t have guessed. You seem kind of one-dimensional.”
Scarface casually drew his hand back and punched Dragonfly
in the stomach. Dragonfly doubled over, winded and seeing double. “That’s more
along the lines of what I was expecting,” they managed to gasp.
“I wasn’t even trying with that one. It only gets worse from
here, so I suggest you stop cracking jokes or I’ll start cracking skulls.”
Dragonfly couldn’t help himself from laughing, the line was
so absurd. “Is this the part where we start quoting from The Breakfast Club?
How about ‘screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.’”
“How about, ‘two hits, me hitting you, you hitting the
floor.” Scarface proceeded to show Dragonfly what that looked like. As
Dragonfly lay face down, partially smothered by the mouldy blankets, Scarface held
his arms aloft dramatically then pointed down at Dragonfly while staring off
into the middle distance, “If he gets up, we’ll all get up, it will be anarchy!”
He took a bow and Dragonfly involuntarily began clapping, not the sarcastic
kind.
-->
He stopped laughing when Scarface kicked them in the ribs
and broke three of their ribs.
How could you possibly assert that this passage was WORSE with the Breakfast Club? More like it kicked the excerpt into high gear! I love the dialogue in that scene.
ReplyDeleteI feel very knowledgeable about the difference between vampires and vampyres thanks to you, and it fit in seamlessly!
I hope writing isn't this much of a struggle every day, and maybe you can scale back on the word count a little bit.
You are almost caught up! I'm sorry to hear that writing was challenging- but this is some solid gold. I so loved the quotes from the Breakfast Club- it was inspired! Maybe we all need that kind of desperation in our writing, because it is bringing out the best in yours.
ReplyDeleteThis novel is all kinds of amazing, and as billed, is both terrifying and hilarious.
Strangely, the description of the difference between vampires and vampyres made a lot of sense given how we have written Gordon all these years. I don't think any one of the Gordons in our novels was an actual vampire. The things you learn on the Internet when looking for creative material!
I hope today is better for you- can't wait for the next excerpt!!
It may not have been easy but it certainly was great! The Breakfast Club scene was excellent. You really conveyed that sense of a character who knows they're in trouble but can't resist cracking jokes (and skulls).
ReplyDeleteI loved the vampire explanation. I'm chilled thinking of what kind of person would take to the internet to write that.